Black Lesbian DIY Fest, established in 2014 is a gathering event for self-identified black lesbians to showcase independent, small press books, zines, art posters, pamphlets, other DIY print based items, films, workshops, and presentations. Allies with material(s) or content on or about black lesbians are invited. The 2nd Black Lesbian DIY Fest will held at the LGBT Community Center (208 West 13th Street, New York, NY 10001). The Fest will take place Saturday, October 3, 2015 from 12pm-6pm. Registration for the BLDF can be found here.
Black Lesbian DIY Fest espouses the “do it yourself” movement, promoting black lesbians to be in community, share ideas, skills & tangible products. The DIY Fest features:
- Vending of print based materials such as zines, small press books, chapbooks, posters, pamphlets and other DIY print based materials.
- Films by self identified lesbian/allies or about black lesbian experiences.
- Established and emerging authors, filmmakers, feminist centered small presses, community activists leading workshops and skill shares.
- Raffle with zine packs, books, art prints and films.
If you answer YES to many of these questions then you can participate in Black Lesbian DIY Fest: 1) Are you a vendor of print based/hand-made materials?
2) Do you identify as a black lesbian or an ally of black lesbians?
3) Does your company have a self-identified black lesbian who can vend the day of the DIY Fest or lead a workshop/skill share?
4) Do your materials have content that is representative of black lesbians (will a black lesbian see your content and feel connected to it as a black lesbian)?
The DIY Fest is open to all and free to attend. Fees apply for vendors. No fees to screen a film or lead a workshop.